The following three undated photographs with annotations from New Zealand Post Office files appear to have been used in plans to replace the two original Oregon Pine masts with a single steel lattice tower plus secondary masts in 1923. The photos also show the original stone building and the small stone hut.
1923: A new 165-foot steel lattice tower was erected to replace the original 150-foot Oregon Pine masts which had rotted.
By the mid-1920s Wellington and some other coastal radio stations were using the new ‘beam’, short-wave radio technology for improved, long-distance communication with shipping, even as far away as the Ross Sea…[Engineers of the Marconi Company] had refined the so-called ‘beam’ system using special directional antennae that allowed short-wave radio signals to be beamed along clear paths rather than radiated out in more diffuse and thus less effective signals.1
1926: On Wednesday 12 May, the winds on Tinakori Hills proved too strong for the steel lattice tower erected just three years earlier and it collapsed after all four legs sheared off their bases.
1927: ALM (Les) Willis became Superintendent (date unknown).
1929: On 1 January, the callsign of Wellington Radio changed from VLW to ZLW, under the new worldwide callsign allocations agreed at the 1927 International Radiotelegraph Convention. (This was the second change in callsigns, as prior to 1913 there were Auckland – NZK, Awanui – NZA, Wellington – NZW and Bluff – unallocated.)
James H Hampton became Superintendent (date unknown).
The station got a second short-wave transmitter in late 1929.2
1 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 115-116), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.
2 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 116), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.