History of multi-channel radio links in New Zealand

The following articles by Ian Hutchings document the multi-channel VHF and microwave links that were installed by the New Zealand Post Office and its successors from about 1945 to 1985.

These were all planned by what became known as Radio Section of the Engineer-in-Chief’s Office. Installation was typically done by specialist teams from Radio Section and District Radio Depots, sometimes in conjunction with manufacturers’ personnel.

Overview

The very first links (1945)

Marconi equipment (1954)

GEC 5-channel links (1958)

STC microwave equipment (1960)

Lenkurt equipment (1964-1982

The final analogue systems (1982-1986)

Digital radio (1980s)