1930: The steel lattice tower on Tinakori Hill, which blew down in 1926, is replaced four years later by a similar tower. A new receiving site is opened at Mt Crawford.1
In the same year wireless technology allowed regular telephone service between Wellington and Australia to begin. Short-wave radio had already (1926) been used to provide the first telephone link between Britain and Canada. On 30 April 1930 a UK-Australia radio-telephone link was established. By 26 August the new 3 kW short-wave transmitter at Wellington provided a telephone link to Sydney, extending to Melbourne by landlines on 22 September and to London on 3 October. The Australia-New Zealand link was formally inaugurated on 25 November 1930 by a conversation between Sir Apirana Ngata, Minister of Native Affairs, and JE Fenton, Acting Prime Minister of Australia.2
1935: Along with improvements in the building accommodation at Wellington Radio, arrangements are made to modernise all the transmitting facilities. Improved stability provided for the trans-Tasman radio-telephone transmitter, and arrangements in train to facilitate a quick change of wave-length which will be necessary to enable a 24-hour service to be provided. [Evening Post, 4 Oct 1935]
1939: Six steel lattice towers are erected.
In September 1939, the P&T Department set aside four ZLW transmitters for Navy use, for an annual payment of £2500. The Mt Crawford receiving station was reopened.3
1,2 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 116), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.
3 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 138), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.