In 1938, the original 400ft steel mast at Awarua Radio was dropped by releasing the guys on one side. In its place three 150ft steel towers were erected – although this was not accomplished until three years later.
In November 1940 the New Zealand Posts and Telegraphs Department awarded the contract for the towers to Anderson’s Limited, an engineering firm in Lyttelton. The cost for the three towers was £2100.
The towers were assembled on the ground, then winched into upright positions on concrete bases.