1920 – Returns were furnished to the effect, signals were received from all parts of the world on long wave. Awarua also became an earthquake reporting office.
1921 – Mr LH Steel became Officer in Charge.
1925 – Traffic figures for December, 136 received and 30 transmitted. Sir James Ross whaling ship sent 263 messages totaling 4044 words through Awarua at a cost of £101 while in southern waters.
1926 – British Official Wireless Press transmissions were transferred from Leafield, Oxford, to Rugby (GBR) longwave 16 kc/s. The transmissions were only observed at Awarua.
1927 – Mr JH Hampton became Officer in Charge. In March the British Official Wireless Press was first copied and transmitted by telegraph to Wellington.
At an International Radio Convention in Washington, New Zealand was allocated calligns in the sequence ZKA-ZMZ. This resulted in Awarua VLB becoming ZLB on 1 January 1929. (This was the second change in callsigns, as prior to 1913 there were Auckland – NZK, Awanui – NZA, Wellington – NZW and Bluff – unallocated.)
1929 – Mr AW Head became Officer in Charge. Awarua monitored radiotelephone tests between UK and Australia and records show signals were better at Awarua than Sydney. Awarua also monitored American station W2XAW Schenectady for the General Electric Company and continued to do so in 1930.