1923: Steel tower erected
In 1923, Wellington Radio VLW got a new 165-foot steel lattice tower for an umbrella type aerial. After the new tower was erected, the two original 150-foot Oregon Pine masts, which had rotted, were demolished.
It is interesting to compare the first and last photos on this page.
An early view of the Wellington Radio site on Tinakori Hill. The aerial was supported by two 150-foot masts made of Oregon Pine. The notations on the photo relate to the plans to replace the two timber masts with a single steel tower, completed in 1923.
In 1923, Wellington Radio got its first steel lattice tower, shown here under construction. Courtesy Chris Underwood
“Improvements to the Tinakori wireless station, Wellington: building the new umbrella aerial, which has replaced the familiar twin poles.” Auckland Weekly News, 10 May 1923. Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19230510-45-4. One of the two original 150ft Oregon Pine masts can be seen in the background.
Steel lattice tower erected at Wellington Radio VLW in 1923. Courtesy Chris Underwood
Wellington Radio ZLW after the steel lattice tower had been erected in 1923 and the original timber masts removed. Courtesy Chris Underwood
The new tower was to prove a very poor choice for the windy location, collapsing just three years later.