1914: Radio Wellington site to be named ‘Mt Wakefield’

In the following letter to the Evening Post newspaper, Postmaster-General R Heaton Rhodes indicates that the wireless telegraphy station opened two years previously in Wellington is to be known as ‘Radio Wellington’.

He also indicates that the hill on which it is located will be known as ‘Mt Wakefield.’ Contemporary reports also refer to it as ‘Etako’, and ‘the Tinakori Hills’.

It was later called Tinakori Hill, and has recently reverted to an earlier name, Te Ahumairangi.

Evening Post, 10 March 1914, p 8

Radio Wellington site to be named Mt Wakefield

Leave a Reply