The wireless station on the Tinakori Hills (Mt Etako) overlooking Wellington was officially opened on 14 October 1912.
The site was some 300m above sea level, and, occupying about 8 hectares of Maori land, had to have a special access built for it. The radio aerial was supported by two masts of Oregon pine, 45m high and 90m apart.1
This page has two original news reports of the opening of Wellington Radio’s station on Tinakori Hill (Mt Etako) – the first from a local newspaper, and the second from the Press Association.
Evening Post, 14 October 1912, p 8
Wanganui Chronicle, 15 October 1912, p 8
1 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 96), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.