Radio equipment aboard Kawatiri – ZMKX in 1957. L-R: AWA MF transmitter (edge of cabinet barely visible), AWA emergency transmitter, aerial switching (top of photo), Redifon automatic keying device and AWA emergency receiver (on bulkhead to left of clock), AWA LF/MF receiver and AWA HF receiver
1957 discharge certificate of radio officer GK Sullivan from the collier Kawatiri. Click to enlarge.
Kawatiri was one of the ‘slow-greens’ – her usual cargo was coal and she often sailed from the West Coast of the South Island to Auckland.
– David Smith
Owner: Union Steam Ship Co
Builder: Henry Robb Shipyard, Leith, Scotland
Gross tonnage: 2484
Entered service: 1950
Finished service: 1971