Died: 28 April 1951 at Auckland, age 59
Generally known as “Dun”, Ernest Dunwoodie was the first operator on duty when Awarua Radio began operation in December 2013.
He was part of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that took control of Samoa from the Germans at the start of World War 1 in 1914. He stayed in Samoa after the war, managing the wireless station and later becoming Postmaster until his retirement in 1936.
- Joined the NZ Post and Telegraph Dept, 1905
- “Introduced to radio,” 19101
- Wireless operator, Awarua Radio VLB, from Dec 1913
- Wireless operator, Apia Radio, from 1914
- Commanding officer, Apia Radio, from Oct 1916 (wartime)
- Officer in charge, Apia Radio, from 1920
- Chief Postmaster and Superintendent of Radio, Samoa, from 1930
Much more information can be found in Mr Dunwoodie’s obituary.