Tiritiri Matangi light is located on Tiritiri Matangi Island in the Hauraki Gulf. It is located just 4km from the end of the Whangaparaoa Peninsula and marks the approach to Auckland Harbour 28 kilometres to the south.
It is the oldest light still in operation in New Zealand, and was the first lighthouse to be built by the Government.
Tiritiri Matangi Island is a wildlife sanctuary and one of New Zealand’s most important and exciting conservation projects.
Location: 36°36′ S, 174°54′ E
Elevation: 91m above sea level
Construction: cast iron tower
Tower height: 21m
Light configuration: modern rotating beacon
Light flash character: white light flashing once every 15 seconds
Power source: batteries charged by solar panels
Range: 18 nautical miles (33 kilometres)
Date light first lit: 1865
In 1924, a temporary radio direction-finding system was set up at Tiriti Matangi Lighthouse and the government steamer Tutanekai navigated from Auckland to the island through fog to demonstrate the usefulness of RDF.
Telegraph was installed at the lighthouse in 1898.
A radio beacon was installed in 1935 and shut down in 1957.