1940: Passengers and crew of Holmwood

Evening Post, 2 Dec 1940, p 9

THE HOLMWOOD
TWELVE PASSENGERS
WOMEN & CHILDREN INCLUDED
NO FURTHER WORD

Twelve passengers were aboard the Chatham Islands steamer Holmwood, which is some days overdue and which is thought either to have encountered an enemy raider or to have broken down. This morning no further information about her was available.

The Holmwood’s passenger list is: —

Mr and Mrs D McMahon and their two children. Mr McMahon has been radio superintendent and postmaster at Waitangi, Chatham Islands, for about four years, and was on transfer back to New Zealand.

Mr and Mrs RC Idiens and their two children. Mr. Idiens is a Christchurch man who has been in business as a builder and contractor at the islands for many years.

Mr and Mrs D James and their child, who were returning to New Zealand. Mr James has been working on a sheep station at Kaingaroa.

Miss C Hough. Miss Hough is an islander.

SHIP’S PERSONNEL.

Captain James Miller, Christchurch, was in command of the Holmwood, and other officers were:— Mr A Campbell (Wellington), chief officer; Mr C Clarke (Wellington), second officer; Mr F Abernethy (Wellington), chief engineer; Mr HF Le Cren (Christchurch), second engineer; Mr GR Clayton (Dunedin), third engineer.

Members of the crew were Messrs JA Lumberg (Wellington), cook; MN McMillan (Wellington), steward; J Ellison (Wellington), able seaman; PJ Stiles (Lyttelton), able seaman; F Johnson (Wanganui), able seaman; D McLeod (Lyttelton), able seaman; TL Longun (Wellington), able seaman; SC Waterhouse (Christchurch); D Cornish (Greymouth), fireman; J Finnerty (Lyttelton), fireman; T Allen (Wellington), fireman.

Wireless plant was on the Holmwood and three of the officers were competent operators. No news was received from the vessel, however, after she had left the Chatham Islands on Monday morning on her run of about 450 miles to Lyttelton. The ship was carrying the following cargo:— 1375 sheep, 77 bales of wool, one horse, several tons of general cargo, and mails. The Holmwood was commissioned in Wellington.