Himatangi Radio ZLZ (channels below 10 MHz) or ZLX (10 MHz and above) was located near Foxton, 120km north of Wellington. The station officially opened on 9 November 1953 and closed on 30 September 1993.
Himatangi Radio was a transmitting station, complementing the receiving station Makara Radio.
AM (later single sideband) operations for these stations were controlled from the Overseas Radiotelephone Terminal at the Central Telephone Exchange in Wellington, while radiotelegraph was controlled from the Radiotelegraph and Cables Terminal at the Wellington Post Office.
As well, if a transmitter at coast radio station Wellington Radio ZLW had to be taken off air, then a transmitter at Himatangi could be put on air and operated from ZLW.