Awarua Radio 1991-Now

Entrance to the disused Awarua Radio ZLB station on State Highway One

Entrance to the disused Awarua Radio ZLB station on State Highway One. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Original Awarua Radio 'engine house' erected by Telefunken in 1913

Original Awarua Radio ‘engine house’ erected by Telefunken in 1913. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Original transmitter/operating building at Awarua Radio, erected in 1913, later converted to staff quarters and kitchen, now a private residence

Original transmitter/operating building at Awarua Radio, erected in 1913, later converted to staff quarters and kitchen, now a private residence. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Another view of the original receiving station built in 1913, now a private residence.

Another view of the original transmitter/operating building built in 1913, now a private residence, with the original engine house in the background. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

one of the guy anchors for the original 410 foot tower at Awarua Radio

At left, one of the guy anchors for the original 400-foot tower at Awarua Radio. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913

Original three staff houses at Awarua Radio, built by Telefunken in 1913. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Receiving station built during WW2 at Awarua Radio, now a private residence

New receiving station built in 1940 at Awarua Radio, now a private residence. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

New receiving station built during WW2 at Awarua Radio, now a private residence. Photo: 2007

New receiving station built in 1940 at Awarua Radio, now a private residence. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

New transmitter building erected in 1970s at Awarua Radio, which now houses the Awarua Communications Museum

New transmitter building erected in 1970s at Awarua Radio, which now houses the Awarua Communications Museum. Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Placard advertising the Southland Post and Telegraph Communications Museum, which is being built in the former Awarua Radio transmitter building

Placard advertising the Southland Post and Telegraph Communications Museum, which was being built in the former Awarua Radio transmitter building (the museum opened in 2016 under the name Awarua Communications Museum). Photo 2007 Alex Glennie

Entrance to Awarua Communications Museum (formerly Awarua Radio) in 2016

Entrance to Awarua Communications Museum (formerly Awarua Radio) in 2016

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *