1978: New transmitter building for Awarua Radio
The 1978 transmitter building at ZLB. Photographer and date unknown. Courtesy Chris Underwood
In 1978, a new transmitter building was constructed at Awarua Radio ZLB.
Until that time, the station’s transmitters were located in the original 1913 “engine house” built by Telefunken.
The receiving station had moved out of its original 1913 building to a new structure in 1940.
Aerial view of Awarua Radio site. Source: Google Maps, 2017
Site plan, dated 3 Apr 1978, showing the proposed ZLB transmitter building. Click to enlarge.
Layout of the 1978 transmitter building at ZLB. Courtesy Chris Underwood
The 1978 transmitter building is now the Awarua Communications Museum.
The Awarua Communications Museum is located in the Awarua Radio transmitter building. July 2016