1940: Additions and renovations at Awarua

The new receiving station which opened in 1940 at Awarua Radio
The new receiving station which opened in 1940 at Awarua Radio. Photo from January 1941. Courtesy Alex Glennie

In 1940, the operators at Awarua Radio ZLB moved from one of the original 1913 station buildings to a new “Receiving Office” 0.5km southeast of the original buildings.

Aerial view of Awarua Radio
Aerial view of Awarua Radio site. Source: Google Maps, 2017

The following correspondence from the Resident Engineers outlines the associated alterations to the original station building and the transmitter hall (originally the engine house).

Plan of alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940
Plan of alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940 (see two enlargements below)
Detail from the plan for alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940
Detail from the plan for alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940
Detail from the plan for alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940
Detail from the plan for alterations to main station building at Awarua Radio in 1940