1960: On 1 Jan, the Post & Telegraph Department is renamed the New Zealand Post Office (Post Office Act – 1959), but remains a government department.
On 31 Aug, international telex service using HF radio begins.
An increasing number of small ships about our coasts are being fitted with radiotelephone equipment. Since last year 160 more ships have gained radiotelephone facilities for communication with shore stations, bringing the total to 1675.
Marine radiotelephone communications are expanding because more small shipowners appreciate the value of the safety service given by Post Office and private coast stations.
The Post Office coast radio stations at Auckland, Wellington, and Awarua maintain continuous watches on the two international distress frequencies, while the 76 private coast stations maintain irregular watches on one of the frequencies.
1962: Royal Commission of Inquiry into the State Services notes that “we have little doubt that in the long run the telecommunications business will become independent of the Post Office in one form or another.”1
1963: On 19 Oct, the last of New Zealand’s remaining Morse telegraph landlines were closed.
1 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 147), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.