The Press (Christchurch), 4 October 1935, p 14
MONEY FOR PUBLIC WORKS
Total Expenditure of £5,200,000
BIG VOTE FOR IMPROVED LINES OF COMMUNICATION
Full-Time Works For Unemployed To Be Started Immediately
The expenditure for telegraph extension by the Post and Telegraph Department for the financial year in respect of telephone, telegraph, and wireless facilities throughout the Dominion amounted to £135,933, as against £144,159 for the vear ended March 31, 1934. The amount available for extension purposes, which was approximately the same as in the previous year, was insufficient to enable a large programme of extension works to be undertaken, but a number of works were proceeded with.
The number of new telephone exchange connexions for the year exceeded the relinquishments by 2237, as against an excess of relinquishments over new connexions of 775 in the previous year. The position in this connexion, which reflects the improved economic conditions of the Dominion, is extremely gratifying.
To improve the standard of service for existing subscribers and to provide for future requirements, the following additions to the telephone exchange plant were made: The laying of one and a half miles of underground cable ducts; the laying or erecting of 17 miles of lead-covered cable containing 2016 miles of wire for subscribers’ circuits; the erection of 95 miles of pole-line, and 1412 miles of open aerial wire for telephone exchange subscribers’ circuits.
In respect of departmental radio-telegraph and radio-telephone stations, the year just closed has marked probably the most extensive constructional programme since the opening of the station [sic]. As a result, the coast stations of the Dominion are fitted with modern equipment capable of giving a high standard of service.
Coincidently with the improvements in the building accommodation at Wellington Radio, arrangements have been made to modernise all the transmitting facilities. Improved stability has been provided for the trans-Tasman radio-telephone transmitter, and arrangements are in train to facilitate a quick change of wave-length which will be necessary to enable a 24-hour service to be provided.
At Awarua Radio the obsolete spark transmitter has been replaced by a valve transmitter of a power suitable for all normal traffic requirements. In addition, a modern shortwave transmitter has been provided, and when the installation of these sets has been completed the stations will be well equipped for all classes of radio-telephone service.
The improvements at Chatham Islands Radio during the year included the provision of a valve transmitter of 50-watt aerial rating in place of the spark apparatus, which has been retained for emergency use.
Radio equipment has also been installed at Christchurch to provide an independent channel of communication in the event of any major dislocations of land line facilities.
(Paragraph spacing added to improve readability)